Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Possibilities

So yesterday I ended up walking up to the GO train (much like our West Coast Express). I ended up at Union station (at the very base of the heart of the city). It took me a while to figure out exactly where I was located, but found myself once I was away from the station. It was then I thought it be a good idea to go check out Casa Loma.

A lovely 3 hour walk later, I found myself staring at the building used for the school in X-men. If you are ever in Toronto, I highly suggest venturing threw Casa Loma. It's being fully restored to it's pride and joy. It has the separate Lady and Sir's rooms (walk in closets, separate bath) and even a guest room. The Scottish tower was one of my favorite features. Also, they have self guided tours with an audio accompaniment. It's probably my favorite part of Toronto right now.

I then used for the first time the Maps application in my cell phone. I found where I was, and requested it to find my way to my current residence. From what I could figure in my mind, wasn't too far. It claimed 9 minutes. I was a little leery of that, but went with the idea. Of course, it was a 9 minute drive, and a 3 plus hour walk.

On my way, I passed the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) which was closed when I got around. I also happened to cross another Museum with secret treasures of the Geisha and Samaria. As that one turns out, it's nothing but porcelain bowls and vases. j

I also happened to stroll threw Little Greece. Interesting neighborhood. Haven't gone threw one like that before. Mainly built up of restaurant, there was very little to do with the Greek culture. I also happened to see my first Amish person. I've only read about them, and have always been fascinated by their way of life. Actually getting to see one, was pretty exhilarating. (Odd, I know, but it's me).

After my long walk, I sat down, rubbed my sore feet, and watched Glee for the first time.

Today, after getting lost in the subway system (really, Montreal has THE BEST subway ever), I found myself not quiet where I wanted to be. It took me about an hour longer than I'd want to get to the CN tower. In the end, I decided against it. Mainly due to the overall 90 minute wait. Just didn't seem worth it.

I moved onto the Design Exchange (dx.org). It is more or less a quick show of local design as well as design history. I only had time to check out the two shows. They also utilized a GR application (basically you take a funny picture with your blackberry phone, it decodes said image and links you to a website with information). It's a great way to have information available and save paper.

I had to dash up King Street to make it to my meeting at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op). I arrive a few minutes early, so i popped in to check out what was so different. Aside from the layout and it being two stories, not too much. Over all the exact same product, and friendly service.

I met up with Robert Skinner (Contingent member), and chatted with him about Oz Moot, his ideas, what he wants from the Contingent, concerns, etc. Over all, pretty chill guy. He comes from a town of a few hundred just outside of Toronto. Their down town consists of a gas station. I have to say, that's a little bit too country.

I then met with Kevin Dunn for dinner. He's a retired Rover from the Ottawa area who is currently crew-less. We chatted about all things scouting. From Steve Kent (Chief Commissioner) to the joys of being a Beaver Leader. Over all, pretty cool guy. Lots of advise, information, and support.

Tomorrow, I'm heading off to Brampton in the later afternoon. In the morning, I hope to maybe explore the islands, and possibly make it over to the fort. But again, depends on time.

In other pretty awesome news, I'm going to a concert on Friday. Specifically, Great Big Sea. The camp I had intended on attending has been post-poned till further notice. I plan to depart Toronto late Saturday night and start trekking home.

OH! I also did a social experiment today. I didn't wear my hat (cowboy/bush hat)! I was treated differently. No longer like an alien. It's odd, but interesting for me. I can't decide if I want to wear it tomorrow or not. Still deciding.

Aside from that, I'm starting to miss Vancouver. As familiar as Toronto feels, it's not Vancouver.

Yours in Rovering,

Kimberly McGilvray
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment