Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fortissimo

Great news!

I'm currently in Ottawa, and will most likely be here till Friday or Saturday. I received word that the Lock out wasn't going to happen beacuse a deal was made. All that needs to happen is a vote via the union on it, and going from there. I will be percautious, but continuing on with my tour as originally planned.

After hoping off the bus to Sudbury, I grabed a OC (Ottawa's Translink) back to the downtown. I quickly put my name into the HI Ottawa (Hostel International), and set myself up. A fun fact. The Hostel, is literally an old jail. My dorm room is actually a renovated jail cell. Needless to say, I'm entralled.

Since the evening was early, I grabbed a map and started to explore. My feet and ears led me straight to Parliment Hill. I was delighted by Fortissimo, the Canadian Ceremonial Guard. Quiet the experience. I only stayed for Life and Times (a prelude to Mozaic), as I had no idea what was going on. I'm definetly going again tomorrow night. (http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/cg-gc/events-evenements/index-eng.asp)

Speaking of tomorrow, on the agenda is a few items. For one, go INTO parliment on a tour. Very excited for that. Second, explore the downtown. Third, hit up Scout House, National. Also, the local Scout shop. Aside from that, see what time I have left over, and maybe check out a few of the exibits, tour University of Ottawa.

I will admit, I'm definately feeling more in Canada now. It's odd though, it's so, British/European out here. No where near as "modern" as I'm use to. Take Victoria, and blend it with the downtown of Vancouver, specifially around Commerial. It's the best way to explain it so far.

OH! Something I didn't write about. The patio culter in Montreal. It's GIANT. When I get my pictures up, you will notice that most of the houses have "porches". Really they are patios. The residence will sit and chill on there, socialize with people who walk by, and just have a relaxing experience. I partook in this experience at the hostel. True, I was upstairs and couldn't overally socialize with people, but it was still relaxing. It's quiet different from having a back patio. Stil not sure why.

Anyways, It's been a long day for me, and the lights are finally being turned off.

Till next time,

Yours In Rovers/Scouting

Kimberly McGilvray
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment