Monday, August 9, 2010

Feastivals and History

Hey everyone!

So, I didn't get a chance to post yesterday to to being out all day. After talking with Kristy (my older sister for those who haven't met her yet), suggested I go to Les Tam-Tams du Mont Royal. I also had intentions of going to Piknic Electronique. When I got the the area of Piknic Electronique, it was cancelled due to the weather. I then quickly did a tour of Iles Saint Helen.

The funny thing is, it wasn't really raining. It was more of a sprinkle. The second the water hit my skin, it was evaporated. Quiet the experience.

I then ventured over to Les Tam-Tams du Mont Royal. The drum circle, a boffing tournement, and slack-ropes. It was quiet the entertaining. I tried my luck on the slack-rope, and ended up falling off after at least two steps. Not nearly as easy as one would think. Afterwards I headed down towards the downtown. I heard about "Feastival Mode Design", and though I'd check it out. My first stop was at QUAM (Quebec Universitie au Montreal). I actually was able to find Ecole Design. I ventured around, saw some of the environmental design work, and a few cool displays. But, not the feastival I was looking for. Off I went.

I went over to University au Montreal (yes it is different than QUAM), and again, no feastival. Right when I give up (and get lost of the metro), I see another poster for the feastival. It's at McGill. Off I scurry towards McGill. As it turns out, it was a Fashion Feastival. Not what I was expecting. I take in what I can of it, and head off. I then pass by a bar, and get a VIP pass in. After seeking advice from Kristy, I go in for a drink. I met a group of people visiting from Arizona. As well as a gentleman docked from India, and was enjoying the city before he headed down to the Bahamas with the ship.

That was the end of the day.

This morning I got up, and headed out to Old Montreal. It was very interesting. I visited the Museum of Archetichure. There was a special exibit on Easter Island. I then went into the archeology dig sites under the museum and roads. The original ground plan and foundation to the original building were still pretty well intact. When I finished the tour and got to the gift shop there was another special exibit on about ways to say "Love".

From there, I got lost, again. On McGill. McGill and I, we dont get along. I finally got back on track, and headed towards Notre-Dame.

I must admit, the only thing I could think of when I was there:

"WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It was simply gorgous. Amazing. I'm debating if I should go to Mass or not, just to experience it and the Organs. I made a donation to light three candles. One for the past, to honour the people I have lost. One for the present, to represent the ones I love and hold dear today. One for the future, to welcome people and what life will bring. I sat in a pew and watched them burn for a while.

Next, was City Hall. The original building, while Montreal was the Captial of Canada, was actually used for Parliment. Unfortuanely, as I had found out on my Tour, the building had burned down.

The core historical experience was in City Hall. I learned about the original founder from North France that came to settle in Ville de Marie (original name for Montreal) and the role model for all nurses in Montreal who founded the first Hospital in Montreal (Hotel du Dieu).

They explained the flag of Montreal, the logo, and a quick general history of the civil wars and struggles with the Iroqua. For a young city (350 years or so), it's sure had a hard time coming around. I also got to go onto the Mayors Patio. Currently, they are renovating and restoring the wall that was the border of Montreal. This wall will mark the separation of Old Montreal, and "New" Montreal (the downtown and what is now a Metropolis).

I walked down to the River, and hopped on a ferry to head back to Ilse Saint Helen. After a quick tour of the Biodome, I concluded it is the enivronmental enthusias Science World. Quiet a few educational displays. Definitally something I would love to take my Cub pack to.

I Learned about a gentlemand refered to as "Bucky". He was so ingenious he created more or less a perfect house. Dymaxion house. Quiet the idea for 1929. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_house) if you'd like to read more about it.

Once I was educated on Mr. Fuller, I headed out for a walk around the Island. I found a fort that was unfortumatly closed down.

After all my adventures today, I have decided to call it an early night, and rest. A nice trail mix, and cup of tea.

Tomorrow, I'm visiting LIttle Italy, and two public markets.

Till next time,

Kimberly McGilvray
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment