Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Change In Plans

So, last night was quiet an adventure.

I had planned on staying in the for the evening, but after I got up from a relaxing nap I noticed I had no more meals in my trusty bag. Out I quested to find a Grocery Store. The only one I had actually scene was in the Down Town area, and an IGA. I ended up munching on a small poutine from a vendor on the street. Awe well.

The evening was young, so I followed a few colourful streets (St. Catheryn), and discovered a road similar to that of our own Granville, but with a major Davie Street culture. Definitaly interesting. My ventures took me all the way down the the St-Lawrence River and the old clock tower (which I learned today you can go to the top of, and check out the view!). From there, I ended up lost in McGill. The main road I and found to walk home on, well, I ended up going to the North West instead of North-east-south. Needless to say, I ended up quiet the lost and in the heart of the University.

Upon my venture home, I finally found my street, Henri-Julien. Not overly confident in my navigation I stood for a minute and looked at my two options. Lucy, a lady sitting on her porch, asked me if I was lost. "I'm trying to find "Rue Roy" (street at intersects near my Hostel). She pointed me in the right direction. Her friend, RJ, then asked me where I was from. Lucy, is from Port Alberni and RJ is from Singapore. Quiet the pair. I ended up chatting with them for a while. I also met Kate from Kits (Vancouver), Pierre the local, Rick and Marshall from Regina, and Carolyn from Toronto.

Quiet the evening. Was not part of my Plan.

This morning, I headed out to the bus depot, only to find that my plans to go to Quebec City weren't going to fly. My information I had gathered said that it would be $40 to go there and back. No biggie. Easy. With accomidations at about $26 for the evening, 3 meals, it would be about 80-90$. To start, the transit out there was 90$ ALONE. The hostels were all full, so that left me with hotels (about $50-110 a night). When I look at it, I can't afford it. So, New plan!

When I spoke to my hostest, they decided to move me to their sister hostel in the east end of Montreal. Not too far from where I was, but it's enough of a change for me to get a little confused. (Can we say I'm going to get lost?)

I meet a deutch lady today. she was sitting on the steps of a church, eatting a muffin looking at her map. She was having difficulty finding where she was, so she asked me to help. We chatted for a bit, I helped her back to the Metro (subway), and found a tourist information center. After seeing the lady off, I hit up the tourist center and grabbed me a book.

I'm now at my new Hostel, which is far nicer, I'm not going to lie, searching threw the books to see what I'd like to do. I did a tour NEAR where i am now, so it wont be too bad. I'm thinking abotu doing a cruise on the St-Lawrence River (it's quiet the inexpensive), and doign three days of culture exposer (museums, the biodome, olympic park, underground city, etc). There is a pass that's $50 for three days to all the musems as well as three days transit. Score? That will probably commense tomorrow. Wed, I'm thinking about renting a bike from my hostel ($5 for the day), and riding around a few of the paths. Thursday, well, I'm not too sure yet. I may go up the Mountain to see what I can see. Friday I will most likely Relax and pack up so that Saturday I can hop on a bus and head down to Ottawa!

Of course, all subject to change. :-p

Aside from that, I'm off to get to know my new area. (Last night I embarrassed myself and walked by my hostel about, oh 4 times?) lol. Typical me, eh?

Till tomorrow,

Yours Truely,

Kimberly McGilvray
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment