Monday, January 10, 2011

Expedition – Rock Climbing

Day 1

A four hour drive let us to Natimuk Caravan camp site, where we set up base before going to Mt. Arapiles. We had a few top rope climbs on Mt. Mire, all of which were to see where our skills laid. Naturally, I’m at the bottom of the heap given it’s my first time on a rock wall (minus birthday parties at the gym, they don’t count though). We even had time to go bouldering.

I learned the basis of how to tie off, the calls, and even how to belay someone!

Once the sun went down, we packed it in and went to camp for a hearty dinner.

Day 2

Wake up at 7 am, grab the gear, go to the kitchen, enjoy a quick breakfast, pile into the bus, and head towards the rock.

The morning climbs where the same as the previous, with various grades to challenge different people. I was able to do the easiest climb, and headed towards the back of the rock to abseil down to the ground (the same as repelling).

A quick break for lunch and we divided up, and my group of four (a lead climber that was also an instructor, a seconder, myself, and another instructor to help me if I had any problems). We were in the Oregon Pipes, climbing D Major (a two pitch climb at 50 m). It was a grade 10, and man did I feel great after that.

Once I had walked/abseil back down, we headed into town so that my one instructor could get new climbing boots. Everyone else did more bouldering and went to the summit before coming back to base for a roast dinner.

Day 3

The normal rush in the morning. Off we went and divided up into 2, 2, and 5. While in the 5, we went to Declaration Crag. I got anchored to the top and took a few action shots of people climbing their ways up. After I had a decent set, I headed down the rock to start my own climb. Unfortunately, or more like typically; I ended up taking the wrong path down and got stuck. So there I sat with one foot keeping me on the ledge. I tried to step out and head back up, but alas no luck. I tried a little foot hold that would have been fine for my climbers, but not so much with my hikers.

A while into my wait, Frosty (instructor) came to see what was up. There he found me, perched on my little ledge. He suggested I tried going back up, I failed, and started my way down. I had to use his knee as a foot hold (NOT A GOOD IDEA FOLKS), and ended up taking a tumble. Landed on my right side and felt a world of pain.

I hobble my way down, looking at the three walls set up, and shake my head no at all three. Away Frosty went with Tyler to set up an abseil point. Fossil comes over to get me to second Jessica (Fossil’s granddaughter) on a second grade climb. Unfortunately, it was difficult for me due to a very sore body.

We enjoyed a lunch, and I headed off with Dawn (the camp cook) since I didn’t feel I would be able to climb worth beans. I was taken to the summit, saw a wild kangaroo, and listened to a kookaburra laugh. I also helped her with dinner.

I spent most of the day shivering, despite the 30+ weather and wearing a sweater and jeans. Something didn’t quite make sense. I was super glad I got out of the heat, and regulated my body temperature and took some medicine for a cold (which I’ve acquired, and prefer over heat exhaustion).

Day 4

This was the last day for climbing. To make the most of it, I gave it my all. We went to a new area (I forget the name of it, arg) and did a few easy climbs. A few people were able to get experience with lead climbing, and I just kind of watched that bit. I hardly can climb above a grade 10, and have no interest in lead climbing yet. It was interesting watching how the different pieces would slide in and lock into place as a handle.

After lunch, we went into town to get some ice cream since the other two groups hadn’t shown up yet. With an extended lunch, we moved to our first site ever so Tyler and I could get the last bits of climbing in and so everyone else could get their kicks at bouldering.

I actually made it up Camelot (grade 14?)! I was so happy. It was different. Not too hard, not too easy. Just right. I then challenged myself on Maximus (or was it Minimus?), a grade 17. With a bit of help from Tyler (on belay) and Fossil (the instructor that pulled the rope so I would move the extra two inches needed while Tyler took it in), and made it up.

For a grade finale, we went to the pub for dinner. Afterwards, the group moved into the bar side, and I went off with Splat, Fossil, and Dawn. I didn’t overly want to spend my evening drinking, and would rather rest. Took a bit of a detour and did some “bush bashing”. Basically 4x4ing, but with more mud and rabbit hunts.

Day 5

Pack up, head out, return to camp. Reflex, write.

No comments:

Post a Comment