Saturday, December 18, 2010

Arrival/ Cairns

On Dec 17, around 8:10 am, I took my first steps into Australia. Aside from some intense Customs, SYN was a lovely airport. With me is my best friend, boyfriend and fellow Rover, Tyler.

Once we figured a way into the actual city and to the hostel we were staying at, we had to store our packs till 2 when we would be able to check into the hostel. Away we went to explore the foriegn city. From the Sydney Aquarium and Zoo, around a scenic harbour wall, under the bridge, and threw the Rocks we ventured.

While we were situated under the bridge around the old fort, we heard clanging. When we looked up, there was a group of people teathered off to the walkways of the bridge. First thought was a service crew. Till they stopped and took pictures. Intergued we were. It was Bridge Climb. An unique experience that people like Jodie Foster, Keith Urban, and Nicole Kidman have all experieneced. When the price tag was revieled, we humbly walked out the door.

After locating the train station and the grey hound station, we explored one of my manditory places, Chinatown. Sydney boasts their Chinatown to be one of the largests, outside of China of course. There was a mall. About 4 stories. The ground floor was an flea/open air market. Go up a floor, and it's a pristine food court. Up another floor was the factory outlets. Up to the last one, and it was actual stores. Never have I scene such a dynamic building.

We wandered back down to the hostel and tasted a Tooney beer. It was super easy to drink. Most likely will be my beer of choice while here. Next on my list will be a wine.

After being awake for about 14 hours, I finally gave up. Given it was about 8 pm here in Australia, and about 1 am at home, I feel I did good.

This morning I woke up, still running on PST. Highly amusing. It didn't take much for me to fall back asleep for a few more hours. I'm quiet happily set to this silly aussie time.

It was a quick pack up and check out of the hostel. Off we went to the train station and off to the airport once more. I can honsetly say, Domestic flights in Australia have the most lax secuirity. So lax that I volunteered for ion testing (bombs). It felt like the right thing to do.

After about a three hour flight, and another time change, we landed in Cairns. It was a giant change. So much heat, so much humidity, so much more of what I expected back in Sydney. It was at least 32 degrees today, with the humidity, felt like it was in the forties.

It was a pretty chill day in Cairns (said like Cannes). Checked into the new hostel, Calypso, and fell in love with it. Can we say Tiki feel? We have a private room with A/C. Feels so nice.

Exploration commenced right away. We had a specific task to look after. Booking ourselves into the Great Barrier Reef. We were lucky and got in for tomorrow morning! It'll be super awesome.

We breifely watched a demonstration of various styles of fire spinning on the beach. Followed by a line dancing tutorial in the center square.

With it being approx 10 pm for me, I'm saving this and posting it later tomorrow after the adventures on the Reef.

Yours In Rovering,

Kimberly McGilvray
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment